Sunday, February 14, 2010

The Dentist in Spain

Basically I learned that I can never be an interpreter.

So Thursday (I know my posts are not in order) I had to take Rosa to the dentist because she had a tooth ache. Which seems like a pretty standard task but it is NOT so easy when you have to find a dentist in a foreign country, not being able to speak too much of the language and tying to figure out how the system of payment etc. works there.

It was an experience and let me tell you... APPRECIATE U.S. health care and dentistry standards.

So picture this.

One 5x6 foot room with a dentist chair taking up at least half of it stuffed with me, Rosa, one dentist and 8 workers who all ONLY spoke spanish.... because apparently 9 people who don't speak a word of english is better then one.

And of course we are all yelling.... a lesson when trying to speak to someone who doesn't understand your language..... yelling it over and over getting progressively louder to the point of screaming doesn't make it more understandable.

So I am trying to act as interpreter between swahili and spanish, which was impossible because I only know the words "milk", "I", "no socks" and "I bought this cheese for you" in Swahili (Seriously I know those phrases) and nothing to do with dentistry in spanish....

And the whole time this gesturing, yelling and drawing is going on....YES, I started drawing.... Rosa is sitting in the chair grabbing her cheek and saying "Mamma Mia" Over and over again and making the sound of the dentist drill.... which she is pretty accurate at

Basically my iphone was the savior in the whole thing, and I am never going to the dentist again.... (as if I needed another reason)

No comments:

Post a Comment