Sunday, June 6, 2010

Birth.


On my way to a job the traffic was at a standstill. Traffic here during normal hours is like peak rush hour in MN... times 5. So you can imagine what a standstill looks like.

You know why?

A taxi was on the side of the road. Inside a woman was giving birth.

Yes. I does happen in real life.

I really couldn't believe the fact that not only was this woman giving birth in a taxi, but on the side of the road with thousands of people passing by and staring. I know I wasn't the only one trying to get a picture.

I can't imagine that. How horrible. I often think about medical emergencies in places like this, where the traffic is so dense. Every time I see an emergency vehicle, they are moving at the same pace as traffic, it's hard to part for them. I get anxiety knowing that someone actually needs them at that moment and they can't even move.

Anyways back to birthing:
Talking about this at my job yesterday lead us to the discussion about people born on airplanes. They are supposed to be "World Citizens" allowed to fly for free anytime they want as well as have education and expenses paid for by the airlines. How awesome would that be? The worst flight experience ever (for your initial flight) but there are perks. Apparently for British Airways one birth per year is average.

Citizenship is a discussion I go into almost everyday here. So many people are eager to get a duel citizenship. Mostly Americans and Canadians trying to get European passports to work. Europeans to get American passports to live/work there....

I didn't know this before but every male Turkish citizen is required to go to Army for 6/12 months. And in Israel every citizen man or woman is required to for 18 months. In order to get out of it you need to move to a place for 3 years and then pay a fine.

The things you learn. I recommend the website HowStuffWorks for learning a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment